Monday, March 2, 2020

The Silver Surfer

The Silver Surfer circa 2020



Yes, it looks like an ordinary Hyundai 2003 Elantra, with a 5 speed manual transmission and quite a bit of rust at this point.  And yes that is some weird silver tape behind the front passenger tire and indeed there is a big dent further back where some older fellow, who was taking pain medication after surgery, backed into her in the lot at Menards with his brand new huge truck, and the police said accidents in parking lots, sorry, no tickets, you're all on your own.  And of course the brand new huge truck was undamaged.  Of course.

But rust and dents and age aside, this car has been in my life one way or another for 17 years and that is most of the life I've shared with my kids.  I bought this car new in 2003 because it was getting to be really difficult to put 2 infants-toddlers in the back seat of my 2-door Toyota Tercel.  (I loved my Tercel, too, but that's another blog for another day).  So I went for a 4-door, and a new car, reliable (see above, 2 small people)  And boy has she been reliable.  I drove her for 10 years without major incident, except for the 2 times she overheated, both times while I was working in home health care, and both times in Lexington, Illinois.  

The first time she overheated I was in the middle of the country, and after I pulled over and called a tow truck to come pick her up, I was blessed to have a state police car pull up and offer me a ride to the mechanic.  I stood there and stewed, and finally asked, "If I'm not in trouble do I sit in the front or the back seat?'  I was relieved to get to sit up front.  And the other time I made it to the mechanic on our own terms but as a result had to have the head gasket replaced.  Oops lesson learned.

Then after 10 good years I passed her on to Mr. Main Squeeze who has driven her for another 7 years.  

The Silver Surfer didn't get her name until Mr Squeeze and my daughter, super-hero fans both, decided that is what she'd be called.  The Marvel Silver Surfer isn't female, but hey that's all fluid these days anyway. 

Today she has taken us safely over 212,000 miles.  And tomorrow she will be driven away by a friend of a friend who needs a car, and has little money but does have some serious handyman skills and we will be making a trade later this year.  Car in March for work on my falling down garage ceiling in June.  

The Silver Surfer carried Mr Squeeze or I back and forth between Illinois and Ohio many a time while we courted and later when he went to Ohio to visit family.  She's been a good reliable friend.   She will be missed.  On the other hand, she will just be across town in case I need a visit.  

3 comments:

  1. Need a tissue for this tear-jerker. Thanks, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you CM, but I like passing things along to folks that need them. My other option was donating to Habitat, so I was blessed with choices!

      Delete
  2. We are saying good-bye to our 2005 Prius. It is quite emotional!

    ReplyDelete

The Word(le) is SNOWY

Just a few days ago I complained we don't get enough snow to go cross country skiing here in Central Illinois very often.  Mother Nature...