Sunday, February 23, 2020

And justice for all...

"Ironic, sad, pathetic, and hypocritical."  These words were actually music to my ears as they flew out of Anderson Cooper's mouth (along with, possibly, a little spittle, as he was quite fired up) during his interview with Rod Blagojevich this week.  He was particularly angry that Blago has claimed he is going to work for criminal justice reform because he feels he was treated unfairly in the justice system.  Anderson Cooper pointed out that the former governor ignored clemency requests in record numbers, didn't review them, left them in record numbers for his successor when he went to prison for wire fraud, attempted extortion, and conspiracy to solicit bribes.  Then when he received clemency he suddenly wants to help reform the system to draw attention to, well let's be honest, to himself.

Here is a link to the interview on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLM5zb3iVV8

Cooper actually called B.S.  That's rare, and I'm glad it's rare, because when someone like Cooper gets that heated up and uses that kind of language, it means something.  I felt like someone spoke for me during that interview.  I feel angry that Blago was released early, and I feel disgusted to see and hear him again in the public view.  

I never voted for him.  Even as a lifelong Democrat, I could not bring myself to vote for him, even before we saw how corrupt and self-serving he would indeed be in office.  My spidey-sense wouldn't let me.  And it has been a relief not to see him contaminate Illinois politics the past several years he was behind bars.  All good things must come to an end, I suppose.  

The timing of these pardons/commutations by Trump this week coincided with my reading of the book Just Mercy by Bryan Stephenson. This book was published in 2014 but has regained attention due to the very fine film released late 2019 based on it's primary narrative about the case of Walter McMillan.  I'm still overwhelmed by the book, which tells many heart-wrenching stories of African Americans wrongly convicted, unfairly sentenced, failed by society and the justice system, until a group like the Equal Justice Initiative takes on the challenge.

EJI is, in their own words

 committed to ending mass incarceration and excessive punishment in the U.S., challenging racial and economic injustice, and protecting basic human rights for the most vulnerable people in American society. 

Yes, for people who have been truly treated unfairly.  Not for the wealthy, powerful, politically-connected, for those with all the resources imaginable available to him.  Not for someone who had good lawyers every step of the way  Not for someone who, in spite of being in a position of power and in a position to do good, chose not to do more than try to pad his own bank account.

You can visit their website at EJI.org where you can read more about their important work for true justice in the US. 

I admire and thank the people who work for fairness in the justice system.  And thank you Anderson Cooper for getting hot under the collar, on television, in the name of truth.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing about this! I'm glad we read the book and saw the film together, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is AMEN! Fantastic post. I can't wait to reading up on EJI.

    ReplyDelete

The Word(le) is SNOWY

Just a few days ago I complained we don't get enough snow to go cross country skiing here in Central Illinois very often.  Mother Nature...