Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Windy Windy City

 This past weekend I went in search of Bliss in Chicago.  I took Amtrak from Normal to Union Station early Saturday morning.  (Thanks to my oldest, J-Dude, for the ride!)  

By virtue of my incredible patience (ahem...) I was seated in a Business Class car!  Oh, the leg room!  Oh, the chargers for my phone everywhere I looked!  Oh, the peace and quiet!  I'm spoiled now, Amtrak!  Oh, the bliss of it all!

I love Union Station, so I took a few minutes to enjoy the Great Hall before heading over to Lou Mitchells for a fabulous breakfast with my friend Cindy.  




After breakfast we walked to the main branch of the Chicago Public Library, the Harold Washington Library.  The winter atrium there on the 9th floor is another great quiet space, but alas, it was closed for the day.  I did manage to sneak a peak and a photo from the doorway.



We browsed the art, including the Above and Beyond Exhibit:  58,000 hand-stamped dog tags representing all US soldiers who lost their lives in the Vietnam War, hanging above the escalators.






We also looked in at the Maker Space, 



 which is a great idea:   sewing machines, 3-D printers, and other cool equipment you can use for free or a minimal supply charge. 

We headed down to the first floor where we found the fabulous Kathleen Rooney and her crew of poets writing "Poems While You Wait!"

Usually there is a small charge but in celebration of National Poetry Month, the library had paid for the event!


I put down my requested poem's theme (in this case Female Friendships) and a poet, sitting at a manual typewriter, wrote me a short poem!  My poem has dancing, getting nails done, and taking to the streets to overthrow the patriarchy, all neatly woven into a few lines!  It's a gift for one of my best female friends.  Just to be transparent, we have danced but we have never had our nails done together.  We've taken to the streets, but never have we tried to overthrow anything.    Yet.


Eventually Cindy and I worked our way to the Cultural Center, then to Millenium Park where we sat drinking iced coffees and watching silly young female friends take ridiculously posed photos of each other.  If only I'd had on a pair of very high heels with rhinestones and a tight dress with a pushup bra, I might have been able to join in.  Alas, I did not have those items with me.

I bid my friend adieu until next time, and headed to The Sears Tower, or rather, the Willis Tower, or rather The Big Willie (my preferred name for the 111-story building) where I went to the observation floor and enjoyed the beautiful view.




I love being up in high places!  It makes me feel happy, free from usual responsibilities and worries.  Even...Blissful!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Windy Windy City

 This past weekend I went in search of Bliss in Chicago.  I took Amtrak from Normal to Union Station early Saturday morning.  (Thanks to my ...